Mark W. Johnson's Homepage
Professor of Mathematics
Penn State Altoona
- Dr. Johnson's office is 113 Hawthorn, which is in the first
floor office wing.
- Contact Information
- The best way to contact Dr. Johnson is via email,
Alternatively, you could call his office at
(814) 949-5758 (simply extension 5758 from any campus phone).
- Regular mail
- Mark W. Johnson
Penn State Altoona
3000 Ivyside Park
Altoona, PA 16601-3760
- Office Hours
- Regular office hours will be held this spring semester
on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 11-11:50,
as well as Tuesdays 2:30-3:30
or by appointment, in 113 Hawthorn.
Students should consider these times as a standing
appointment with the instructor and take advantage of this
opportunity to have questions answered or to receive help with
background difficulties. Dr. Johnson is also available at
certain other times by appointment, so if you cannot make any of these
times, ask to meet him at another time.
- This spring semester, Dr. Johnson is teaching
and Math 251.
- Dr. Johnson's reasearch area is in algebraic topology, but includes
fairly broad interests within that field.
- Dr. Johnson is an
organizer of an AMS special session (his fifth) at the
2014 Joint Mathematics Meetings in Baltimore, MD,
January 16th and 17th, in addition to a satellite conference at
- BSF Grant Information
- A collaborative research proposal with David Blanc (U. Haifa),
Jim Turner (Calvin C.) was funded
2007 through 2011 by the U.S.-Israel Binational Science
Foundation (BSF), including a postdoctoral position.
- Outreach and Community Service
- This is a description of work with area high school teachers,
where the primary focus is to make college faculty into a
resource for high school teachers in the same discipline.
Among other things, Dr. Johnson spent a semester teaching a course
at one area high school. More recently, Dr. Johnson has,
along with Dr. Juan Gil, been working with Elementary and Middle
School teachers from the Bellwood School District.